Vikasana means "blossoming" in Sanskrit.

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Fair Enough

On Thursday I am going to start co ordinating a fair trade website, where you can buy things made by the people in Mandya.

Once I've got the site up and running I'll post the link here.


The website will mainly sell the dolls seen below as well as clothing. I just love the delicate detail that the Indian villagers put into their work.


I'm very excited (although I try not to be in case it doesn't work out), but I have a job trial at Red Olive, a pizza restaurant on Thursday, and I have another trial some time this week at a children's party place. I really hope I get these jobs so that I can start saving up for my trip to India. And so I can stop relying on my parents for money. I try to tidy the house and mow the lawn as much as possible in return.

I've been reading Shantaram, and I'm about half way through. I'm really enjoying it, and although it is taking me a long time to read, I don't mind. It's one of those books that you really enjoy reading, but aren't in a desperate hurry to finish. I'd be quite content if it doesn't actually finish.


Dear readers,

I would like to ask if any of you have travel advice? It would be very helpful.

I can't wait until I'm actually in India, so I am able to post photos of my own. The thought of all the colour and the spices and the head wobbling takes me away from my current situation of being unemployed.

2 comments:

  1. The website sounds like a brilliant idea. And I wish you all the best with your job trials this week, you'll be an excellent employee, I'm sure! (:

    Your determination to get to India is admirable. Keep going, hun! As for travel advice, I'm not sure I can offer anything valuable except to make sure you book your airplane tickets in advance - it usually much cheaper when purchased earlier.

    Have a blessed day, Chrissie! (: x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind words, Julia.
    I'm looking foward to my trip to India so much.

    I'll be sure to find some cheap flights.

    You have a blessed day too. xox

    ReplyDelete